The term “The Big Lie” has been used in many ways at different times. It was used by Adolph Hitler as a propaganda technique in his 1925 book, Mein Kampf. He stated that no one would ever believe a lie so colossal in it’s impudence and distortion and infamy. He claimed that the Jews used this technique to unfairly blame Germany’s loss in World War I on German army officer Erich Lundendorff.
The term “The Big Lie” was used as the title for a 1951 anti-communist propaganda film produced by the U.S. Army. It attempted to tie in many of the peace movements of the day with Russian communist agendas.
At any rate, none of these so called “big lies” even come close to the REALLY BIG LIE that has enveloped and suffocated believers in Jesus Christ for centuries. It is THE lie perpetrated by THE real enemy of our souls. And even though most Christians realize that Jesus Christ put to death all of the power of the devil, yet this big lie persists. Everyone seems to be saying that the only power he now has is one of deception.
“…the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.”
(1 John 3:8)
“… having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.”
And I would say that is true. But no one ever talks about what exactly that deception IS. What is that LIE that he constantly uses against God’s people in an attempt to thwart God’s eternal purpose?
I believe that it is something so sinister and yet so subtle that no one seems to ever bring it up. Of course, it would be. The enemy is many things but he is not stupid! And of course he would do whatever possible to cover up this lie and bury it so deep that very few Christians would even know about it or care about it. In fact it is so rarely even spoken of or written about that I have only found two or three books ever written on the subject! Now that’s buried!
If you know me at all you know that I rarely mention the evil one. I don’t think he deserves the air time. However, the apostle Paul tells us that we do have an enemy and that he has schemes, and that our struggle is not against flesh and blood (Eph. 6:11,12). And I can honestly tell you that this particular “scheme” that I am about to share with you is one of the most hidden, tucked away secrets that he has!
The Basis For All Other Deception
I sincerely believe that this “Big Lie” is the foothold or basis for the entry way of many other lies and deceptions. You could call it the “loophole” of the enemy that opens the door for his deception to work on God’s people and keep them from gaining the ground of maturity in Christ. The biggest threat to this enemy is the true, authentic, and living Body of Christ! He is scared to death of her, that is, the Bride of Christ. And this particular scheme of his has done more to suppress the true church of the living God more than any other tool or weapon.
A Case of Identity Theft
Identity theft is definitely on the rise throughout our digital world. This usually involves a criminal who steals your financial information so that they can take money from you. Though it is a serious crime and a growing epidemic in the information age, it is not near as dangerous and damaging as another kind of identity theft. I’m referring to the kind that is (and has) been perpetrated upon the children of God.
This one who is definitely a “thief” has stolen your true identity from you!
He has not only stolen your individual identity in Christ but he has also stolen the corporate identity of the true House, Family, Temple, Body, and Bride of Christ. This has made the church spiritually impotent because she is wandering around not knowing who she is, what she has, or where she is going.
This dilemma goes deep and I cannot go into it in detail here. However, I have written about this in more detail in a book called: The Butterfly in You.
How do I know that this Big Lie is about identity theft and that it has stolen all potency from the church? Simple, let’s take a look at the record for some examples. It actually follows throughout both testaments once you have your eyes opened to it.
- The Spies (Numbers 13:23-33) Moses sends out 12 spies into the Canaan land. Each represents a tribe of Israel. Two return with a positive report and ten return with a negative report. The ten mention the wonderful riches of the land but then they say that the land cannot be taken because there are giants. Then in verse 33 it all comes out. “we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” Do you see that? They became like very small insects in their own sight, and so became that in the sight of their enemies.
- In the Garden of Eden (Gen. 3:5) The enemy uses identity against Adam and Eve. “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
- In the second Garden (Matt. 4:3) The enemy approaches the second Adam (Christ) in his temptation in the wilderness. And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” Here again, an attack upon identity; “if you are …”
- The Sons of Sceva (Acts 19:13-16) In Ephesus God was powerfully using Paul to heal many and cast out demons. There were some Jewish “exorcists” who thought they could do the same thing. Do you remember what happened when they tried? Do you remember what the demons asked them? And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?”
- In my own life – many years ago we experienced many weird things happening in our home and in the lives of people we knew. I guess you could call it poltergeist or noisy demons. Weird phenomenon was happening and we were told it was demonic attack. One day, I realized that it had totally stopped and had stopped for years. It came home to me very clearly that the difference was that now I knew who I was in Christ!
Dear brothers and sisters this is a MAJOR discovery!!!
Please believe me when I say that the Body of Christ will never function in a full and healthy way until we make this discovery. We don’t know who we are both individually and corporately. The enemy knows that as long as we remain in this state we are no threat to him whatsoever!
So exactly what is this Big Lie?
It is that you are a dirty rotten sinner (who is saved by grace).
It is that you will always be a sinner and have to work really hard to please God and somehow measure up to his holiness.
It is that you are a lowly, unworthy worm who can only bow down to a righteous and holy God and never be intimate with him or be one with him.
It is that even though you were saved by grace, now you need to live by your own efforts at becoming a good person. You must work hard at changing the ungodly attributes in your life. Only you can make these changes in your life as God points out all the faults.
But here is the Big Truth:
“This letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus. I am writing to God’s holy people in Ephesus, who are faithful followers of Christ Jesus. May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ. This is what He wanted to do, and it gave Him great pleasure. So we praise God for the glorious grace He has poured out on us who belong to His dear Son. He is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our freedom with the blood of His Son and forgave our sins. He has showered His kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding. God has now revealed to us His mysterious plan regarding Christ, a plan to fulfill His own good pleasure. And this is the plan: At the right time He will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for He chose us in advance, and He makes everything work out according to His plan.”